Friday, December 17, 2010

Why Do I Still Listen to Arabic Music?



لماذا ما زلت إستمع للاغاني العربية؟
I have gotten into American, British and Latin music, and I have enjoyed them all. I like the passion of the Latin music, I like the beautiful verses British music has, I love the American innovation and visuals their music provide. Every music is unique of course. Many American love British music becasue it tends to be original and captivating. But no one know how to make a star like Americans do it. Somehow however in the midst of all this, I am still drawn to Arabic music.

No other music can deliver emotional doses as much as Arabic music can, no other music can deliver a catchy tune to my ears as well Arabic songs can. And No other world music can draw the images the Arabic langauge is rich with. The little things, the little details, the smallest meanings and gestures can be picked by an Arab lyricists and turn them into a wholesome song that gives me an experience. It's rational to conclude that I am biased becasue my native tongue is Arabic, that might be a safe conclusion.

But I still feel that other people who do not speak the langauge can also feel those images and emotions I speak of. For example try to translate the poems of Nizar Qabani to an American and see what fascinating affect it will have on them. Or maybe translate a song written by Marwan Khoury to someone who speaks Spanish and see who well they will appreciate it. It's true many Arabic songs can sound corny and even comical when translated, but a great deal of them have meanings that have a universal appeal. Still unsure? How about sharing few lines from a Fayroz, Salwa Qattrib song to someone who likes country music and see how you will turn them into fans right away.

I guess what I really want to say that growing in the Middle East and being around people who appreciate music, I had few Arab friends who won't listen to Arabic pop and instead they opt for American pop and rap. Which is fine and dandy, but those often do not really listen to the lyrics of the song even their favorite pop song, they only listen to the beat. So they are missing out on the best part of an Arab song, the words.

I do not disagree that Arabic music needs improvement, as some of those pop songs sound really awful, and sometimes the lousy music can get in the way of a good song. But when I hear an Arabic song, I can overlook the tried music and just dive for the lyrics that tell me something. I know for me, you can never get richer and more vivid images that Arab poets and songwriters come up with. Still occasionally I enjoy a good Guns and Roses song, a new Coldplay hit, or whatever Jaunes releases. At the end of the day, I know I will be back for more muse from those Arabic singers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment